Zucchini Bars are very similar in flavor and texture to my Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze but are even easier and faster to make. We’re talking soft, fluffy and moist spice cake topped with a truly incredible Caramel Frosting.
Instead of Caramel Frosting, Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are equally as amazing. For these bars you only need half the frosting recipe and the bars would need to be stored in the fridge.
Zucchini Bars with Caramel Frosting
Zucchini Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are equally as amazing. For these bars you only need half the frosting recipe and the bars would need to be stored in the fridge.
Servings 35 squares
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (225 g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (112 g) butter, room temperature or oil
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups (about 300 g) shredded zucchini (1 medium zucchini)*
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped pecans or walnuts if desired
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) whipping cream
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ - 2 cups (165-220 g) sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted chopped pecans if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (170°C). Butter a 9x13 inch (25x40 cm) baking pan.
- For the Zucchini Bars: In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Fold in zucchini and nuts, if using. Spread batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the bars have browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the Caramel Frosting: Combine butter, cream, brown sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture begins to boil. Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes. Add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine. Immediately pour over cooled bars and spread evenly. Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans if desired. If frosting becomes too thick to pour, stir in 1 teaspoon of water and gently reheat.
- Caramel Frosted Zucchini Bars can be stored at room temperature for up to three days or refrigerated for up to five days. If frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting, bars must be kept in the refrigerator.
*NOTES ON ZUCCHINI: The actual volume or weight of shredded zucchini isn’t critical to this recipe. A little more or less is perfectly fine! You can use the large-holed or small-holed side of your grater to grate the zucchini. I find it easier to grate the zucchini using the large holed side. If you’re using a really large zucchini, it’s best to quarter the zucchini lengthwise and cut out the spongy seed center. If your shredded zucchini has released water, drain off the liquid before adding the zucchini to the batter.
Leave a Reply