There is a new version of this post with an improved Caramel Glaze recipe here.
I love this moist and delicious cake. LOVE. The cake is ah-mazing. And the glaze? Even better. The glaze is an old-fashioned cooked brown sugar caramel glaze. It takes me back to my childhood in Minnesota. I think immediately sprinkling the glazed cake with toasted chopped pecans would be amazing too – then you’d have pumpkin and pecan pie flavors in one cake.
*** UPDATE 11/2017: half of the amount of glaze that is in the recipe is plenty for most people so try halving all the glaze ingredients and also don’t add all of the powdered sugar at once but gradually whisk it in until you are happy with the consistency. ***
- 2 cups (280 g) flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (Natron)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups (250 g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (15 oz. or 450 g) pumpkin puree (how to make your own)
- 1 cup (250 g) sour cream
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) whipping cream
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (220 g) sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted chopped pecans, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C). Grease and flour bundt cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin and sour cream until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan, invert onto a wire rack, remove pan and cool completely.
- For the Caramel Glaze, combine butter, cream, brown sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture begins to boil. Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine. Immediately pour over cooled cake. Sprinkle with pecans if desired. *If glaze becomes too thick to pour, stir in 1 teaspoon of water and gently reheat.