I already have a couple of Red Velvet recipes here on the blog, like Red Velvet Cupcakes and Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake but these are the easiest Red Velvet recipe. They are actually a variation of my Cheesecake Brownies. The pretty red and white swirls look so tempting but are really simple to make.
What makes these brownies Red Velvet, besides the color? There is a little less cocoa in them and a little more vanilla than in regular brownies and there’s a teaspoon of vinegar to give them a little bit of tang, which goes so well with the cheesecake while also offsetting the sweetness.
- 14 oz. (400 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (240 g) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (30 g) cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons liquid or ½ ounce (14 g) paste red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 ½ cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C). Butter 9x13 inch (25x40 cm) baking pan.
- For the Cheesecake Filling: beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg for one minute until creamy. Set aside.
- For the Brownie Batter: in a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and cocoa powder until fluffy. In a different bowl, lightly beat the eggs then add the vanilla, red food coloring and vinegar and whisk until the food coloring is completely dissolved. You can add as much food coloring you wish to reach the desired intensity of red. Add the red egg mixture to the butter-cocoa mixture and blend well. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined.
- Spread ¾ of the brownie batter in the baking pan. Pour all of the cheesecake filling mixture over the brownie batter and spread evenly. Drop tablespoons of the remaining brownie batter on top of the cheesecake layer. Pull a knife through the pan in wide curves a couple of times to create swirls.*
- Bake brownies for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and chill for at least two hours before cutting into brownies. Brownies keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.