A little while ago I presented The Best Double Chocolate Muffins and you could say this here is the cookie version. The Perfect Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies are a variation on my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies. Unsweetened cocoa powder replaces some of the flour and I changed the procedure a bit so that the cocoa blends into the dough better.
The Perfect Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (112 g) butter room temperature
- ½ cup (112 g) margarine room temperature
- ¾ cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (210 g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (340 g) chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup (110 g) chopped nuts (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (170°C). Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, margarine, cocoa powder, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in half of the flour, the baking soda and the salt. Beat in the remaining flour. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using). The dough will be very stiff.
- Drop dough mounds of about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F (170°C) for 9-11 minutes, just until the surface of the cookies loses its shine. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then carefully loosen cookies from the parchment paper and move them to wire cooling racks.
- Cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month.