Here’s an all-natural remedy for this, my un-favorite time of the year, when we are feeling run-down. I feel that this Hot Lemon & Honey Drink with (or without, if you prefer) Fresh Ginger keeps the worst of the icky illnesses that are going around at bay and I also love it because it tastes so good, with just the right balance of sweetness and tartness and a little bite from the ginger. And it’s as easy to make as a cup of tea. Even faster if you leave out the ginger and just make it a Hot Lemon & Honey Drink.
I crave this wonderful concoction whenever I have a scratchy throat or an achy chest. My kids also ask for their Hot Lemon & Honey Drink when their throats are sore and when they are sick in general. In my humble opinion, this warm and soothing drink helps at least as well for minor cold symptoms as any over the counter medicines do – without the chemicals. At the very least, the lemon and ginger are good for you and the raw, local honey will give you an energy boost. Some might even like a shot of whiskey in it.
Feel better soon. I am not a doctor – if you are sick and/or have a fever, please go to the doctor!
Hot Lemon & Honey Drink with Fresh Ginger
- 2 teaspoons more or less, according to taste peeled and chopped fresh ginger root
- Juice of half a lemon preferably organic
- 1 heaping teaspoon honey preferably raw, organic and local
- Large (12-14 oz.) mug (350-400 ml)
- Peel and chop the ginger and put it in the bottom of your mug. Meanwhile, bring a mugful of water to a boil. Pour the boiling water over the chopped ginger, filling up to ½ inch (1 cm) from the top so there’s room for the lemon and honey. Let the ginger and water steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and stir in the lemon juice and honey. Drink while warm.
- Drink one to two mugs per day while symptoms last.