Fudge Brownies are dense, chocolatey and rich and, in fact, form the brownie base of my Cheesecake Brownies.
For variations, you can stir one cup of chopped nuts into the batter, if that’s your thing, or one cup of chocolate chips or chunks or 2 tablespoons of instant espresso powder for mocha brownies. We often leave these brownies “naked” because they are also decadent and fudgy without the frosting.
The Fudge Frosting. You want it to be soft so you can quickly spread it on the warm brownies where it melts into a shiny, fudgy glaze. If it is too thick, mix in some boiling water, one teaspoon at a time until you’ve reached the right consistency (pictured here).
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup (225 g) butter room temperature
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional stir-ins: 1 cup (110 g) chopped nuts, 1 cup (140 g) chocolate chips or chunks, 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 cups (220 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water or more if necessary
- Preheat oven to 350°F (165°C). Grease 9x13-inch (25x40 cm) baking pan.
- For the brownies, cream together granulated sugar, cocoa powder and butter until fluffy. Add beaten eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt. Stir in nuts or chocolate chips, if using.
- Spread brownie batter in greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, just until the top appears dry. Do not overbake. They may appear to be underdone but you want these to stay moist.
- As soon as the brownies are done baking, mix the frosting ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth. If frosting is too thick, mix in boiling water, one teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Working quickly, immediately spread frosting over warm brownies. Cool brownies completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Store tightly covered at room temperature for up to three days.
Leave a Reply