These soft and fudgy Dark Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies are incredibly complex in flavor and texture. They are intensely chocolatey, which I feel is the perfect background for coffee flavor. Adding some chopped walnuts to the dough provides a crunchy contrast to the fudgy interior.
Making Dark Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies requires very little hands-on time and baking skill. The only “trick” to achieving the ultimate texture and flavor is to chill the dough.
Chilling the dough helps develop the flavors and keeps the cookies from spreading too much in the oven, but rather stay thick and fudgy. You will love these easy mocha & walnuy cookies!
Dark Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies
- 1 cup (225 g) butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200 g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups (106 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 teaspoons (5.4 g) instant espresso powder (3 sticks Nescafé Espresso)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170 g) mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup (110 g) chopped walnuts
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder and salt. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat on high speed until combined. Gradually add flour mixture to butter-egg mixture and beat on low speed to combine. Beat in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Tightly cover bowl and chill dough in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or in the freezer for 20-30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking trays with parchment paper. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of dough, roll into balls (slightly smaller than golf balls) and place on baking trays, leaving space in between for cookies to expand.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes. You will see they are done when cracks appear on the surface of the cookies.rom oven and allow them set on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.