When you’re craving the flavors of a cinnamon bun, these delicious Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze are just the ticket. The sweet and tangy Cream Cheese Glaze is a great way to use up any leftover cream cheese frosting you may have although maple syrup also pairs well with Cinnamon Pancakes.
Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 ½ cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (210 g) whole wheat or spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 3 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 9 tablespoons (4 ½ ounces or 130 g) butter
- 6 ounces (175 g) cream cheese
- 3 cups (300 g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Start with your Cream Cheese Glaze: melt butter. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes: In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon). In another bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add buttermilk and oil and whisk until blended. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until a batter forms and no flour is visible. Lumps are ok.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and brush with a little oil. Pour ¼ cup of batter per pancake onto heated pan and cook until bubbles appear and edges look slightly dry (1-2 minutes). Turn pancakes and cook until golden brown on other side and pancakes are cooked through (no raw batter in the middle). Keep pancakes in a warm oven (175°F or 80°C) until all the batter is used up.
- Serve pancakes warm with Cream Cheese Glaze or maple syrup. Freeze leftover pancakes between layers of parchment or wax paper and reheat for 1 minute in microwave.